Curdlan is a β-1,3 glucan. It consists of D-glucose monomers linked by β-glucosidic bonds at C1 and C3, and is totally linear with no branching. It is a non-ionic polysaccharide produced by micro-organism through glucose fermentation.
1. Glucose and fructose up to 20% have almost no effect
2. Reasonably freeze-thaw stable
3. Freeze-thaw stability can be improved by addition of modified starch
4. Elasticity is intermediate between agar and gellan
5. A wide pH range of 2-10
6. Tasteless, odorless, colorless